Above:  Sakitama shrine

Shrine in Gyoda

-1 Oshi Suwa Shrine:

 This locates next to GYODA CITY MUSEUM beyond national road Route 125. It is said that this originated the period that Oshi Saburo, Oshi Goro and their clan had built their residence in 1190. Another origin was that when the 14th lord of Oshi castle, Narita Akiyasu and his clan had built Oshi Castle(around in 1479), this was a Mochida Village Shrine and Castle Shrine. So successor lord of Oshi Castle had been respecting this shrine.




  Furthermore Oshi Toshogu Shrine was built in here together to respect Tokgawa Ieyasu and Matsudaira Tadayoshi, the fist lord of  Oshi-Han.

 -2 Sama Tenjinsha Shrine:

 The 15th lord of Oshi Castle, Narita Chikayasu had construction to increase water level of marsh around the castle, and built an entrance and exit of water facilities with shrine(1491). Tenjinbo Shrine was built at exit. This is the origin of this shrine and Sugawara Michizane who has been respecting as god of learning, has been enshrined at main building of this shrine.




 When Ishida Mitsunari had attacked the Oshi Castle(1590), Masaki Toshihide who was the bravest samurai in Oshi Castle,  had an intense battle against Ishida to prevent entering into the castle near this place. 

  -3 Gyoda Hachiman-Shrine:

  This shrine has an original that when Minamoto Yoriyoshi and Minamoto Yoshiie had stayed here on the way to Oshu with punitive forces, and they prayed for their victory at a shrine. This located at Sama village at that time, 16th lord of the Oshi Castle, Narita Nagayasu moved it to current location(around in 1553).


 Emperor Onin and Empress Jingu were enshrined as main gods. Narita Nagayasu had obedience and revolt against the Hojyo Clan(Sagami, Odawara) and the Uesugi Clan(Echigo, Kasugayama) repeatedly. For that reason he deeply became a believer of Buddhism and Shinto to build temple and shrine.





Left:  Empress Jingu (Center, big woman)


This shrine has a painting of Empress Jingu’s Victory Return from three nations in Korean Peninsula as shrine treasure.

 -4 Sakitama Shrine:


 Sakitama Shrine and Sengen Shrine locate on Sengenzuka Kofun. It is supposed that clan that had built Sakitama Kofun-gun, was enshrined. Two Sakitama Shrine were registered in Engishiki Document that had completed in 927. Torii, stone gate was built by subordinates of lord of Oshi Castle, Abe Masayoshi in 1676. Now, shrine on the top of mound was named Sakitama Shrine, middle of mound was named Sengen Shrine in beginning of Meiji period and Sakitamahiko-prince , Sakitamahime-princess are main gods.


Left: Sakitama Shrine







Left: Sengen Shrine

  -5 Hisaizu Shrine:


  The origin of this shrine is that when Oshi Castle had been built, nearby Chokyuji-temple and this shrine were also established together to protect an ominous direction. This shrine has the original big flag with 10 meters length with characters that Katsu Kaishu who had prevented Edo from firing, wrote on. Chinese character for Hisaizu is also read Kuizu (means quiz). So, this shrine is very popular in these days among people who enjoy quiz show.


Left: Wisteria Festival at Hisaizu Shrine is scheduled in early May, every year. 


World history 3:

 Mongolian invasion:

 In 1274, Mongol-Goryeo allied forces by commandeering Goryeo people advanced to North Kyushu (the Bunei War). Mongols, after defeating the Southern Song, mobilized people of the Southern Song and invaded Japan again in 1281 (the Koan War). However, due to counterattacks by Samurai troops under the Kamakura shogunate, coupled with typhoon attacks in each, these invasions failed.






-6 Omiya Shrine

  Omiya-guchi gate stood on the land of this shrine. It was very important gate for the Oshi Castle as rear ominous direction. In 1590 when Ishida Mitsunari attacked the Oshi Castle, the heavy fighting began at this gate and Shimooshi gate. This shrine was called as “Hisaizu shrine at Omiya” in the past. Now it is called “Omiya shrine”.




Left:  Breast Icho (maidenhair) tree at Omiya shrine


Nearly ten cone protuberances that are called breast, hang down from branches of maidenhair tree in grounds of Omiya shrine. These cones relate to stretching condition of roots uneder earth. It is said that this tree is called "breast icho (maidenhair) tree", and this tree was respected as belief object of easy delivering and child care.





-7 Mochida Ainomichi tenjinsha shrine


 This is a small shrine with old and tall trees at residence area. The shrine was described on the south outskirts of Samurai residence of the Oshi Castle on picture map written in 1823. Local people has been taken care of this shrine with their respect. There are two temples, Jyoshoji temple and Seiganji temple near here.




-8 Kotohira shrine


 This shrine was believed as God of water transportation by ship. Rice for tax and official transportation of baggage were carried to Edo by Shinkawa river and this area was prosperous. Therefor this picture on wooden tablet, was dedicated to the shrine. Fast ship and wholesales stores by riverside are written on the tablet. It is said that people who work for wholesales stores and boatmen dedicated this to the shrine.




-9 Tenman Inarijinjya shrine


 The Denbe Fire broke out at Denbe tenement house of Kitaya district in 1846 and burnt down 44 houses, stores and 64 clay storehouses by strong  west wind. The Tabi merchant, Takasagoya lost all Tabis in clay storehouse by the fire. The fire was caused by going into oil for fried food. This Tenman Inari shrine prevented extension of the fire. After this fire, people had custom that they stopped using fire on special day that Denbe fire occurred. 



-10 Atago shrine


 This shrine is a center of Tori-No-Ichi Fesival, Gyoda’s year-end festival. It takes place every year on the sixth of December. Merchants buy Kumade or special decorations made of colored tissue paper that they put outside their shops to invoke good luck and fortune for the following year.


On the picture map written in 1823, Chotokuji-temple appeared on the land of present this shrine. However, no this shrine was written on the map. Chotokuji was abolished in the early Meiji period and this shrine has been alive instead of the temple.